I was recently given this recipe by my friend Sorcha and am astounded at how good bran muffins can be. These are ridiculously easy, mostly healthy, completely delicious, and quite unlikely to still be here tomorrow. From me to you: Enjoy.
2c wholemeal flour
1c bran flakes
1tsp baking powder
2tsp baking soda
½c brown sugar
¼c golden syrup
1tsp vanilla essence
2 large bananas, mashed
1c dates, chopped and soaked
Cinnamon Sugar // Sesame sugar
1tbsp brown sugar
1tbsp white sugar
½tbsp cinnamon OR 1tbsp sesame seeds
- Chop and soak dates in boiling water while preparing all other ingredients
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Mix wet ingredients together, adding drained dates at the end
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined
- Divide into muffin trays. The recipe would work well for 24x regular muffins but I made 6 large (texas muffins), 6 regular and 12 mini muffins just because that’s the size tins I have.
- Sprinkle ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon or sesame sugar over the top of each muffin.
- Bake at 180°C for 10-22 minutes, turning half way through
– Small: 10 min
– Regular: 18 min
– Large: 22 min
- Allow to rest in their tins for about ten minutes and then turn onto a wire rack for cooling.