7 Quick Takes, Adoomi's Update, baking, birth story, Bran, catholic, chocolate, Conversion Diary, Date, Edmonds, faith, Family, food, Healthy, healthy eating, midwife, mommy blog, New Zealand, prayers, Recipes, Sweets
1. Part of the reason for me starting this blog was so I could write out some stories from work that I don’t want to forget. I finished the first one off this week and you can find it here. It has drama, intrigue, big red bells and, of course, a happy ending. Let me know if you want more.
2. It has been a whole month since I last worked and I’m finally going back tomorrow. It always feels so good to put my midwife hat on and I’m looking forward to eventually working more down the track. Note: I don’t actually wear a hat at work, but to say “put my midwife scrubs on; or my midwife badge and ID card on; or my midwife shoes on…” it doesn’t have quite the same ring to it does it? Maybe I should find a midwife hat somewhere. I don’t think these babies quite cut the mustard.
3. We found a kindy for Adoomi this week! [Pre-school? Childcare? Daycare? I’m still not sure what I should be calling it] I’m so excited for him to start for both of our sakes. He loves loves loves being with other kids and anytime we go anywhere with play equipment or other kids he dives right on in. I think it will be great for him to be in that kind of environment a couple of times a week, and it’s going to be So Nice for me to have a few hours of my own time. Can’t. Wait.
4. And so that’s why I find it strange that I am inspired by all of you homeschooling heroes out there. The idea of homeschooling appeals to me big time but I don’t think I could handle it. Unless 5 year olds are easier to manage than almost-two year olds? I guess time will tell.
5. So I gave up junk food this year. Aaaand I’m well and truly off the wagon. I love how I feel when I don’t eat junk, but I Just Want To Eat It! And yes, I do feel like the whiny child I sound like right now. I’ve lost five kilos since the start of the year – which is great but wasn’t actually the point of the exercise – and I also like how my clothes actually fit me again, but: hot chocolate! Afghans! Slice! Cake! Lollies! Ice cream! Chocolate! I’m still trying to decide if I should get back on the wagon or not. I made a healthy slice yesterday for Harry but then ate it like it was going out of fashion and I’m not so sure it’s really that healthy for me in such high quantities. Here’s the recipe. It’s called Vanishing Slice for a reason.
6. Which brings me to the next take: Afghans for real. I have been wanting to make these for so long and today, you lucky folks, is the day. You’re welcome.
7. Yay for two more saints! Yay for awesome popes! I wanted to watch the canonisation but was a slacker and didn’t get around to looking it up until pretty late on Sunday night. Would you believe it was happening right that very minute? I joined the party near the end of the homily and stayed until the end of Mass. What a wonderful thing to be a part of, even in my little distant super-late way. Pope Saint JPII and Pope Saint John XXIII, pray for us.